Bridal hair is an important part in wedding day planning. For some, it’s just as important as the wedding location, the beautiful dress, and the delicious cake. For one day, all eyes are on the bride and groom (but mostly the bride J ). Photos are taken the entire day and memories are being made. One of the ways to feel the most beautiful and have those photo-memories bring blissful feelings is having your hair look stunning.
As stated in our last blog post – the most important part of a marriage is doing life together after the wedding day. We don’t want to take away from the beauty of the journey of marriage. We are just a part of the story – making the bride feel as beautiful as possible. We want to help make the first day of marriage be a spectacular memory for life.
That being said, let’s go on the hair journey of a newly engaged bride…
Deciding what to do.
You’re engaged! Yay! Celebrate…and now start planning. After eyeing your checklist for the 100th time, you come to “Hair.” How do you decide what to do with your hair? Pinterest and bridal magazines are not helping narrow down the options.
- What does your dress look like? Strapless? Sweetheart? Halter? One-shoulder? Your dress may determine how you wear your hair: down, bun to the side, etc. You may want your hair up to show off your shoulders, or if you have a lower back dress you can go either way. But don’t let your dress stop you from showing off your locks, there is no set standard for dress-hair correlation, it’s merely a starting point if you are unsure what you want.
- Is your wedding inside or outside? In what season? You may decide to wear your hair up as opposed to down if you will be outside in the summer and don’t want to get too sweaty. Brides are even going from down to up between ceremony and reception. It is a great way to get a couple looks in for your pictures.
-What if I have a veil? You can always make your hairstyle accommodate a veil. Stylists will show a bridesmaid or mother of the bride how to put the veil in and out so you can do it throughout the day.
- What if my hair is too flat? Do not worry! We use product, product, and more product. Your hair will do what we want it to! We can add body, curl, and texture as needed to do whatever style you want.
- What if my hair is un-tamable? We have worked with all types of hair, and we can find a style that will work with your hair. You show us your heart’s desire for your wedding day hair, and we will help you achieve that look.
- Who can I talk to about my hair? Morgan Ashley Salon offers free consultations with our stylists to talk through your desires for your wedding hair. You can bring pictures and ideas and talk through it all with your stylist.
You have made your hair decision. You have met with your stylist and talked through what you want. You have booked appointments on your wedding day for you, your bridesmaids and anyone else needing hair and make up either on site of your wedding or in the salon.
You are now ready for your trial run. The trial run is a great way to make sure you are satisfied with your hair for your wedding day and you can work out any details with your stylist.
For a discount service, you can do a minimal trial run to practice the “idea” of what you want. Or for the full service cost, you can have the exact hair and/or makeup for your wedding day. If you want the full service, brides typically will schedule this for a bridal portrait, shower, engagement photos, or engagement party. You get your trial run, and hair and make up for an event!
Cutting and coloring my hair
Scheduling your cut and color at the right time around your wedding is important. Most brides don’t want to cut their hair right before the wedding, so that it can be long and easy to maneuver for up do’s. But if you do want a fresh cut and color, it’s best to schedule it a couple weeks before your wedding day. You want your color to set for a couple weeks as well as not be too far out so that it grows out. Your stylist and our front desk can help you find the best way to prep your hair for the big day!
On the big day
You can expect time, effort, and attention from our stylist on YOU! Your hair and makeup is our priority. Your start time will be according to your pictures and wedding start time. Your stylist will be with you until your hair/makeup is done. They will instruct you if there is any touch up needed or veil instructions.
We LOVE our brides and bridesmaids and truly enjoy being part of your day. You will not be disappointed with your hair. Our desire is that you would shine as a bride and as a future wife!
Hair and Makeup for this lovely bride by stylist Emily Hurst.
Photography by Leslie Hollingsworth Photography.